Re:

To: wizardz@maxinter.net
Subject: Re:
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:55:33 EDT
James,
  It's simple and straight, but incorrect.  The "hundredweight" has 112
pounds to it in the UK. In the US, it's 100 lbs, and we call the 112 lb
hundredweight a "long hundredweight".   Our 100 lb hundredweight is known
as the "short hundredweight".
That's part of the beauty of it all, when weights are described as long
or short, and people are weighed in stones.  There are also long and
short tons of 2000 lbs or 2240 lbs (20 long hundreweight).
  If we were to capitulate to simplicity, we would lose some wonderful
measurements, furlongs per fortnight, for example.
  I, for one, am happy that the US has not (yet) joined in the rush to
metrification in our weights and measures.  We were, however, among the
first to have a decimal based currency.
Bob