Re: More Questions on C Brakes

To: mrazor@kih.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Questions on C Brakes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:09:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/99 10:12:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mrazor@kih.net
writes:

<< I am not moving
 fluid from the M/C throughout the system by pushing the pedal
 or with the force of air from an ez bled kit.  It is as if it
 is jammed from the M/C out.  Could be M/ C be bad, and if so
 how can I check it out? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This sounds like you have a main brake line crimped closed.  Hydraulic fluid
is non-compressable so the pedal will be solid if there is no place for the
fluid to go.

Take the MC out, put it in a bench vise with a few rags wrapped around it,
and push in the piston with a screwdriver.  If fluid flows out the line
holes, the MC is fine.  If you can't push in the piston, the MC is jammed and
is causing the problem.  My guess is that it is okay.

Next, check the condition of the brake lines.  (Not the flex hoses.)  See if
they are bent or crimped anywhere.  You may have to check each one
individually by removing both ends and forcing air through it.  If air gets
thru, the line is open.

My Midget has a pressure switch, which lights the brake light if it senses
more pressure on one side of the brakes on the dual line system.  That is the
first place the fluid goes after the MC, so if it's jammed, the brakes won't
work.  Make sure that all the brake components are working properly.  I'm not
as familiar with the C.

A word of caution when trying to remove the brake lines or flex hoses, use a
flare wrench to prevent damage to the fittings.  If they haven't been off for
many years, soak them with PB Blaster first.  I did this on my '77 Midget and
only damaged one fitting.  They were all very tight.  (I was replacing all
the lines anyway, so I wasn't being very careful.)

Are you replacing the flex hoses?  If they are old and hard to remove, they
should be replaced.  They can swell INSIDE where you can't see it, and that
will bind up your brakes.

Keep us posted.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget