Re: Vent windows

To: "Edwin Vaughan" <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>,
Subject: Re: Vent windows
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:53:19 -0400
I assume when you say frame you're talking about just the vent window glass
frame or are you talking about the entire vent window assembly that extends
down into the door and supports the whole thing.
If you're replacing just the hindge in the little frame around the glass, you'll
have to go through the hassle of reinstalling all the tar seal around the glass
in the
small frame.
If you're talking the whole chrome frame assembly you're talking big bucks

...I saw a lady walk by at Carlisle this past weekeend who had found a
very pretty (good conditioin chrome) assembly (window installed whole vent
window
chrome assembly which extends down into the door) . As she walked by i noticed
she had only paid five bucks for the whole thing. VB sells it for $349.95

..to the real question at hand... technique is everything
with a 6" or so socket extension, you can reach up through some of the inner
door
panel holes and reach the spring loaded pivot nut. It will just fit (socket
wrench extension
and deep throat socket) swinging the window back and forth will remove the nut.
watch where your washer and spring go... (go zinging that is) as you remove the
nut
this will let you slip the vent window out all by itself.
...while the vent window is out... go ahead and replace the rubber seal around
the window
if replacing just the pivot bolt, you'll have to spend some time repacking the
tar seal
around the glass in the small vent window frame. It's a bit of a pain to get it
really tight
so it will hold the glass in correctly
you'll spend alot of time packing more and more in little by little around the
glass
to get it tight and completely full. If you cheat here... you can easily loose
the glass
while cruisng down the road someday.

... 'nough said... good luck.

P.S.  I did it just last Fall on OB (repacked the tar seals and
replaced the rubber around the vent windows) it was a pain
but I guess worth it in the end.

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT
North of Annapolis, South of Baltimore