Re: starter trouble on 1966 MGB

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starter trouble on 1966 MGB
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:09:56 -0700
I have to "me too" on this. Mine did this intermittently for years. Then
the starter pinion decided to whack off a few flywheel teeth. Which then
in turn exacted revenge by mangling the starter pinion teeth. Then I went
through 3 starters in 4 months, as the pinions got chewed up. I finally
had enough of that and pulled the engine to get the flywheel ring gear
replaced. When I went to pick up the flywheel, the shop had a 4-synchro
OD tranny sitting on the floor, so I took that instead (plus a different
flywheel, backplate and starter). Haven't had any problems since with the
late model starter. BTW this was all before I knew about "the list", or I
might have done things differently.

Dirk de Boer had this to say:

--

Max Heim