Re: Leaded vs. unleaded

To: RHSinclair@uswest.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaded vs. unleaded
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:46:18 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/99 8:55:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RHSinclair@USWest.net writes:

<< O.K., call me ignorant, but remember, I am only 14. Our '68 B has
 always taken leaded gas. Since it hasn't been out of the garage for I
 don't know how long, we haven't had to worry about it. Now that we are
 fixing it up, I would like to know the pro's and con's of using
 unleaded fuel/gas/petrol ( Whatever you want to call it) in a car that
 was designed for leaded. Please help me out!  Thanx. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Don't worry about using unleaded in your B.  The lead helps lubricate the
upper parts of the engine, because the valve seats aren't hardened in your
car.  They will very slowly wear out, and when it comes time for a rebuild,
just get a head with hardened seats that will use unleaded gas.  You can add
a lead additive to your gas to help in the mean time.  It takes a long time
to wear out the head.

Now, just because you are 14 don't let anybody call you ignorant!  If you get
any flack for asking a question on this list, send them to me and I'll flame
them good.  The only way you can learn is by reading and asking questions.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

We need you younger guys to keep our cars going.  You see, we don't really
own our LBCs, we are only borrowing them from our kids!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport