Re: Head off -- any advice?

To: Simon Matthews <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Head off -- any advice?
From: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:32:14 -0700
--------------F732BD91454C0E273D9CF4F0

Yea... First thing, Throw away the Haynes manual.  The reason you chamfer the
stud holes is that the top threds will pull out..  If you run your finger over
the holes you will feel that they may be raised above the surface of the deck.
I use a counter sink bit on an electric drill.  Use some oil on the bit and
stuff rags in the bores, etc...

Simon Matthews wrote:

> For the first time, I am going to remove the head from my MGA in an attempt
> to cure the leaking head gasket.
>
> So any advice? Things to watch out for? I have Haynes and factory manuals,
> but is there anything not documented in these?
>
> I have heard that one should chamfer the stud holes -- with what? How do I
> stop metal particles going into the bores?
>
> Simon

--------------F732BD91454C0E273D9CF4F0
 name="djc.vcf"

begin:vcard