Head off -- why didn't anyone tell me. OK in the end!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head off -- why didn't anyone tell me. OK in the end!
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:04:16 PDT
Well, when I came to replace the head on my '57 MGA, I found a problem: some
of the pushrods would not go back properly. After removing the inspection
covers, it turned out that when I lifted out the pushrods, some of the
tappets came with them (held by suction) and  dropped back out of place.

This was actually, lucky, because when I inspected the tappets, I found some
pitting, so I replaced all of them.

Chamfering the block turned out to be a moot point. The head studs did not
want to move -- despite soaking for a day with PB Blaster. Perhaps a blue
wrench would have shifted them? I did not put too much torque on the studs
since the last thing I wanted was a sheared stud.

During the disassembly process, I found that the exhaust manifold was
fastened to the rest of the exhaust system by only one nut.

I reassembled with some copper gasket sealant on the head gasket.

It seems to be working -- running nicely. I guess, I will have to re-torque
the head and re-set the rocker clearances after some time.

Simon