RE: AVGAS to be phased out!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: AVGAS to be phased out!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:58:04 -0700
Umm, don't mean to contradict you, but unless you are 1) "knocking" or
"pinging" on regular fuel (other than Avgas); 2) advancing your timing
after you fill up with Avgas, and retarding it when you fill up with
regular;  or 3) driving a modern car with computerized knock sensing and
advance, there will not be any performance improvement in running higher
octane fuel. Period. This has been stated in SAE literature, and was the
subject of a class action suit in California against the oil companies.
The companies were found guilty of deceptive advertising when their ads
encouraged customers to buy their premium grades for "better
performance". Basically, it was found that as long as you were running
fuel of a high enough octane to avoid "pinging", a higher grade of fuel
had no beneficial effect; unless, as I said, the computer sensor could
then advance the timing to take advantage of it.

This perception of better performance is a fallacy encouraged by the oil
companies, who are only interested in your money. Of course, if you
retune your car each time you fill up to take advantage of the higher
octane, then you would benefit. But who does?

Flame suit at the ready...
Max

--

Max Heim