RE: Parking Lot Dings

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parking Lot Dings
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:45:57 -0500
Sorry that this happened to the wrong marque, but when I had a bug eye, even
though I got the bumper package, the front bumper was still to low to be of
any use. I marveled at how the Sprites sold in England didn't have bumpers
at all and still were safe.

I was surprised at how long it took for someone to back into the car and
crush the bonnet. Paid for by my insurance. The replacement part was the
entire front end, and came packed in cosmoline. Took longer to clean the
part than to install and paint it. The shop was run by an attractive YL (ham
talk for young lady) who lent me her Thunderbird while my car was being
fixed. You bet I hung around the shop while the car was there.

I noticed that there were some old leaf springs in a corner of the shop. I
asked her if they could make something for me. I drew an "S" shaped bracket
with four holes in it. They made me two. The front bumper what held on with
two bolts. I bolted the bracket to the frame, the bumper to the bracket. The
"S" shape caused the bumper to be higher and further away from the body. No
more problems. Sorry, but after 40 years I can't remember the exact
dimensions. After 40 years that's not all I can't remember.

The idea may be of some use to those who live in the city, and are
desperate.

Jack