Success Stories (a little long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Success Stories (a little long)
From: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:25:25 -0700
First of all, I'd like to sincerely congratulate all of you who go out and
work on your own cars and don't complain about all the little things which
go wrong.  Maybe you've had lots of experience, been doing this for years,
so things don't suprise you anymore, or you've graduated from the worst of
the learning curve, and just don't make those stupid mistakes.  Whatever,
you deserve a pat on the back.
For me the learning curve is still in full force, it seems that whenever I
attempt something it always takes a lot longer than I originally
anticipate.  Something always seems to go wrong, whether it's merely
knocking over that bottle of brake fluid, or, as recently happened,
breaking the side off the square hole on the fill plug on the differential.
I thought it couldn't be much harder than changing oil, right?  Well, the
bottom drain plug came out pretty easy, even without the proper tool.  It
seemed pretty bunged up, but with a 28 year old car that didn't suprise me.
The fill plug wouldn't budge, except to break.  So I asked the list, and
you all kindly gave me your opinions, and I also ordered a new set of
plugs.  One week later, I have my parts and am ready to go back to it.  I
have jacked the car up several times in the past week so as to attempt to
remove the damaged part, but to no avail.  I even brought the old drain
plug with me and asked my friendly family car mechanic if he knew anything
about getting a square drive adapter which might fit.  He kindly lent me
his 7/16th square drive which fits on a 1/2 " ratchet to use.  Even with
this piece (manufactured by Matco, works perfectly!) the fill plug wouldn't
budge.  Last night, went out and bought some PB Blaster to try.  Let it
soak overnight, jacked up the car again, and no go.  Finally I used the
adapter on the 1/2" breaker bar, and managed to get just a little movement
from the plug.  Yea!!!  Working at it slowly and carefully, I finally got
it free, and so I replaced the drain plug and filled the rear axle.  I'm
happy to say that the car is now back on the road, complete with new 3/8"
hex differential drain and fill plugs.  They've changed them.  Guess it
will save me from having to buy or make a 7/16th adapter the next time I
attempt this project.  But it sure made me feel good to accomplish
something.
The next project should be to replace the hubs, do the back brakes, and put
the new wire wheels and tires on.  I have to admit that I'm thinking of
having that done, just so I can have a little time driving the car, rather
than working on it.  I'm also still thinking of going to Tahoe for one day
(Thursday) of NAMGAR GT-24, so the car has to be ready for that!  I really
should have taken auto shop instead of cooking in high school!!  Thanks for
listening,  Nina