Re: C brakes that scream bloody hell!!!!!

To: lulusam2@sparc.isl.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: C brakes that scream bloody hell!!!!!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:14:08 EDT
lulusam2@sparc.isl.net writes:

<< I am checking with the hallowed halls of MG knowledge to correct my
 screaming brakes, I can't stand them any more!  I haven't pulled any wheels
 yet, but am curious what to look for.  They'll squeal shortly after you
 apply the petal, and if pump the petal sometimes they will quit.  What
 should I look for? >>

First off, try pushing the pedal.  That flower on the floor is probably in
really bad shape by now!  <LOL>  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Brake noise is usually caused by loose brake pads and brake dust.  (Or worn
out pads, but I will assume you have relatively good pads.)  Pads made with
metal compounds will squeal more than non-metallic pads.

Try these fixes.  Remove the pads and take the calipers off the rotors.  Hang
them with a piece of wire so you don't stress the brake hoses.  Clean
everything really well with CRC Brakeleen (sp?).  You will need a large can
for one pair of brakes.

Let it dry completely.  File or grind the leading edge of the brake pads down
at an angle to reduce grabbing as the rotor moves between them.  Use a good
anti-squeal compound like Permatex and follow the directions when you apply
it.  Some need to set before reassembly.

Put it all back together and you will have done what you can to reduce the
noise.  Again, if you use performance or metallic pads, some brake squealing
is normal.

Hope this helps.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget