'77 'B run on-update (longish)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '77 'B run on-update (longish)
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:35:13 EDT
Listers,

First off I would like to thank everyone who has lent their vast knowledge
for me to try to cure this problem.  This list is truly a wonderful thing!

Now, back to business:
I took some readings with my trusty Radio Shack
Voltmeter/Ammeter/Ohmetter/Widget, and here are the  readings:

Resistance across coil: 1.6 ohms
resistance of resister sitting next to the coil, bolted to the "black box":
10.5 ohms
(this should be the stock set up for this car, but I know the coil is not
original)
with ignition off, voltage of hot fuse in fuse block:   12.7v DC
with engine @ 3000rpm taken at same  hot fuse:          13.6v DC
with ignition on, voltage of positive terminal  of coil:        11.2v DC
        "                                   negative terminal of coil:  10.5v
DC
(is it just me, or is this not right?  Both voltages taken with black
terminal of tester to good ground, and red on one poll of coil (electronic
voltage meter does register negative voltage when terminals switched)).
with car running, voltage of positive terminal of coil: 12.2v at idle, 9.4v
when revved above 3000rpm (again this throws me, shouldn't it be more at
speed rather than at idle?)
with car running, voltage between terminals on the coil: 0.7v DC
(this is with one lead from the tester to each terminal)
voltage at coil + with ignition off, but car running on:        12.2v DC,
only faltering once engine dies.

The engine starts and stops the same way whether I am in the seat or not (I
know there is a sensor in the seat that is supposed to be tied into the
seatbelt, and ignition via a box behind the radio, but I don't think it works
anymore [the seatbelt switch still works-buzzer and seat belt light come on
when started with seatbelt off, and only the seatbelt light comes on when
engine cranked with seatbelt on.]).

Like I said before, the car runs well with plenty of power.  I am running 87
octane right now, the engine knocks slightly only when fully warm and under
heavy load.  I drove around for 1/2 hour today, and the car did not get above
"12 o'clock" on the temp gauge (normal).  When I tried to shut it off, the
engine runs on for 15-20 seconds before stalling on it's own.

I thank you for all of your help and comments.
Sincerely,
Steve Sanchez