Hot MG's, inertia switch

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot MG's, inertia switch
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:06:49 -0400
As I am on the digest, I cannot reply directly, so forgive the multiple
subjects.

Straight water is a better coolant than 50/50 with antifreeze. Water
wetter makes it better. Anti freeze will raise the mixture boiling point
above that of straight water, but lessens the mixture's ability to
transfer heat. Antifreeze usually contains additives that lubricate the
water pump, inhibit corrosion, protects any aluminum parts.

My suggestion is to run 25% antifreeze in very hot weather to improve
heat transfer & still retain the additives for protection.
Another way to go is no antifreeze, but add a water pump lubricant by
Dupont or others.

Inertia switch- The '75 MGB should already have one. Later cars have a
grey cylinder mounted under the dash, on the firewall, approximately
behind the fuel gauge. There are 2 wires connected to the bottom,
completing the circuit to the fuel pump. On top of the cylinder is a
small cap. When impact occurs, it will  stick up about 1/4", breaking
the circuit. Push it down to re-connect.

In the engine compartment, near the peddle box, is a roll over switch.
It sits within a mounting ring supported by 3 legs, seldom seen these
days, as they usually fail and are removed.

The inertia switch is quite good, & a worthwhile addition to an early
car as a safety measure.

Jim Stuart