Re: Jack Points 75 MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jack Points 75 MGB
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:06:17 -0400
Nevin -

If you've used it already and know that your sills are in very good
condition and you're careful to position the jack so you don't crunch the
side of the door, perhaps nothing could go wrong.  Next time you use it,
carefully examine the sill as you jack the car to see if you note any
flexing.  A sill can look good from the outside while the inner membrane
could be seriously rusted.  Also, somebody on the list mentioned replacing
sills while forgetting to weld in the new jack-point reinforcement.  If
your PO did that, you could be in for a surprise - even with excellent
sills.

Like you, I used these jacks on my first B without consequence for quite
awhile.  On my 2nd  B (a GT), I noticed the sill flexing a little one day
as I began jacking.   Since then, since there is no need to take chances, I
don't.

While we're on the topic, it's time for the routine reminder: NEVER get
under a car on ANY kind of jack, and NEVER use concrete blocks to support a
car.  I use 6-ton jack stands only.  Why SIX tons?  They are bigger, raise
the car higher, and a lot more stable. Even on jack stands, I try as hard
as I can to push the car off the stands (as a test) before going under.
And I leave the trolley jack in position also...

Allen

From: dresden@tiac.net

>Boy, and to think I've used mine a few times already...what could go wrong?...
>
>Nevin
>
>>Absolutely!  I carry the scissor jack to use and the original jack for show
>>only....
>>
>>From: BobMGT@aol.com
>>>
>>>I wouldn't trust the jack points on a brand new B...
>>>
>>>Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127