Overheating mgb

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating mgb
From: "William E. Snyder" <wsnyder@henderson.lib.nc.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:36:11 -0400
My 1971 BGT engine is overheating. The engine has less than 200 miles since
a complete engine rebuild. Head and block were machined. New 40 over
pistons. Street cam. New Carbs. Head made no-lead. Flow test on cooling
system reveals no problems.

Symptons

1) Within 50 miles water started getting into the oil (White foaming).
Mechanic retorqued head and leak went away. No overheating at this time.

2) Now engine overheats within five miles of strating from cold.

3) Compression test shows 170 lbs on cylinders 1, 2, and 4.  Number 3 shows
115 lbs. No change with wet test.

4) Running is a little "lumpy"

My conclusion is that my mechanic did a poor job installing the head to
begin with or that the head gasket was defective.

What does the group think?

Thanks

Bill Snyder
wsnyder@henderson.lib.nc.us