RE: Seeking MGB Tonneau Advice

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: RE: Seeking MGB Tonneau Advice
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:38:01 -0700
Bob:

Yes
Easy
Robbins
Yes
Right
No, but if you fold the seats forward the tonneau fits anyway.

        I love the full tonneau on a B.  I used to drive during the winters
top down in Colorado in the snow.  It is much easier brushing the snow off a
tonneau, than trying to get ice off the plastic top windows.
        Usually during the summer I leave the passenger side covered, then
when I have to park, just throw the driver side piece over the steering
wheel.  It will keep the wheel and seat shaded so you don't become one with
the seat when you sit down.
        Robbins makes a heavy vinyl tonneau that lasts forever.  (Moss does
sell the Robbins product).  I am saving up to have a SF fabric tonneau made
for my next B.  The lighter material makes setup much easier.  One of the
people here has one on a TR6 that has given very good service so far.
        The OE tonneaus made in the UK are of a very light vinyl which tends
to rip easily.  Particularily around the headrest pocket.  The lighter
weight does make them easier to put on tho'.

        The zips will fail if installed too tightly or if a water/snow load
gets too much.  I wax the zip which helps waterproofness.  If you park the
car nose uphill a tonneau is pretty well watertight, so long as no large
pools form in the middle.
        Installation is pretty easy.  You will need to be able to set press
snaps, this tool is available from any fabric store.

        I do not like the look of the pocket tonneaus, and seat placement is
critical as you believe.  On my 70 B I folded the passenger seat forward,
and the flat tonneau cleared the headrest.  The driver side will not do this
as the seat hits the steering wheel.

        Removing the headrests would solve that problem.  Something to think
about on mine.