Re: My manifold sucks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My manifold sucks
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:50:18 -0600
Peviously seen on this list:

>I was just about to start pulling the radiator when something caught my eye.
>The end of the intake manifold looked different. Got my bi-focals adjusted
>and found I was looking INTO the end of the manifold. The factory installed
>plug (pressed in and epoxied I suppose) was gone!
>
>Yep, that would make it run lean and backfire... once.
>
>I have epoxied a shalow, 1-1/8 inch freeze plug in the hole. I'm not sure
>this is the final fix, though. I'm looking for a 1-1/8 inch circle of
>aluminum. Guess I could cut one.
>
>Has anyone else had the pleasure.....? What did you do? It would be
expensive
>to replace the mainfold, I just want to repair it.
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas

It sounds like you've probably fixed it. I speak from experience because I
had the same problem with my 71BGT. I think the plug was loose because I
still had it. I took it and resealed it in the end of the intake manifold
with epoxy.

I was living in Wyoming at the time and parts sources were either scarce
back then or I didn't know where they were. Plus I was poorer then.

Anyway, I did the epoxy job back sometime between 1984-87 and its been
holding up since then. And only close inspection will reveal what I did.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT
74 Toyota Landcruiser (top is coming off today)