Re: Body Repair - longish response...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body Repair - longish response...
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:57:03 -0400
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>

>Word on the street is that Nory P said:
>> There's a book on Heritage Bodyshell Rebuild?  Where
>> can I get a copy?
>
>The *new* edition of Lindsay Porter's DIY guide has a section on doing a
>Heritage bodyshell restoration.
>
>Skye

Skye, Nory, others,

Here's the promised information.  The book is Practical Classics & Car
Restorer "MGB Uprating & Bodyshell Rebuild" published by Kelsey Publishing
Limited, 1991.  It includes: "Survey of the Heritage bodyshell * Stripping
of the donor car * Rebuilding mechanics * Modifying to pre-'66 spec * Rear
axle * Retrimming * Hood & tonneau fitting"  and a whole lot more.  Major
sources are Ron Hopkinson, Brown & Gammons, Oselli Engineering, and BMH.

 Of interest to some would be the section on rebuilding the V8.

' Think I got mine from Britbooks.  No interest, yada-yada-yada... I just
think it's a good book.  The section on modifying to pre-'66 spec was worth
the whole price to me - if only because it made me understand the
differences a lot more clearly.  This was important to me as I've been
doing a pull-handle '65.

And yes,  I too was going to mention Lindsay Porter's new edition of the
DIY Guide.  I would not advise bodyshell work without this book.  On the
other hand, there's just a whole lot of stuff that goes down in between
some of the pictures in those 'how-to' sequences which you don't discover
until you actually try following those sequences yourself.  In Porter's
defense, I'll concede that there have to be some limits in the size of the
book and anyone courageous (read: "foolhardy"?) enough to get that far into
it can improvise creative solutions him/herself.

Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127