Car Prices

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Prices
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:42:56 +0100
Hi All,

I've been looking around-at MGBs and also at other cars, which is part
of my work. The situation in the UK is that classic cars have become
rather fashionable. This, however is not universal, for these reasons...

1. If a classic has no roof, it's worth loopy money, unless it's a
Reliant Scimitar SS1.
2. If a classic has a roof and says 'MG' on it, it's also worth loopy
money, regardless of the condition.
3. If such cars are with a dealer, they are (a) worth excruciatingly
silly money unless (b) they belong to you.

Here, we have a road tax watershed. Anything built before Jan 1st 1973
is tax-exempt, being classified as an historic vehicle. Now, apart from
Brussels babbling on about scrapping such cars, that is quite handy,
road tax being about equal to a new set of tyres every year. On the
other hand, a classic owner has to have the skill, facilites and
dedication to run such a maintenance-intensive car.

Many don't have these things, hence the existence of numerous classics
which look great on the surface but are ill-maintained and usually
rotten. For example, I went to look at a '74 BGT at a dealer's premises
(no names-no lawsuits). This car was superficially shiny and had a newly
rebuilt motor. OTOH, it had rot in the tops of all four wings, in the
tailgate, in the inner wings and rear quarters. The price was as per a
mint condition car and -get this-the dealer said that the bubbles on the
wing tops were caused by, 'rainwater settling on the seams'. Funny that;
all the Bs I've repaired had the same problem caused by great lumps of
wet mud packed tight underneath these areas.

Similarly, I looked at a very, very cheap GT which had been partially
'restored'. I estimated about a year's work and about £3,000 before the
car would be presentable, not to mention roadworthy. It was essentially
a donor for a Heritage shell, for someone who has the money to refurbish
the mechanical parts as well.

Now, I've got around all this by buying a car which I know, have worked
on and has been restored by my best friend. True, it still needs some
work but the price is right and I do know the history.

I don't doubt that the above 'top condition' classics appear worldwide
and I'd like to hear the experiences of others.

Cheers,

Dave Hill