RE: Inspection Regs in Fla?

To: SpuriousV8@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Inspection Regs in Fla?
From: Nferre@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:31:48 EDT
Jim Wrote:

Hey All:
         Any Floridians on the list? I am interested in importing a car form
a northern state to the state of Sun, Hurricanes, Thunder Bumpers, and warm
weather.
        What regs do they have nowadays for doing this? And what kind of
inspection does the car have to go through. Also, how do they feel about
modified cars, such as installing  a V8 in a car that originally came with a
4 banger? How stick is the pollution test. Do they test the car by engine
year or car year?

Safety Faster
Jim Brucato

Hi Jim,

To answer you questions, Florida does emissions testing by county. I am
positive that there is testing for Jacksonville and tampa, not sure about the
other locales.  I hear a rumbling about possible testing in the Orlando area,
(you can bet I'll detune the bejesus out of mine to pass.)

To the best of my knowledge, the testing goes by car year, not engine year,
with no visual inspection, just the exhaust sniffer.

By the way, Ross Overcash is right, sort of.  No safety inspection, high fees
initally, the dirt cheap, but the previous info may apply to you depending on
you county.  You may want to check with the local tag office to see if your
county requires emission tests.

Hope this helps.

Nels Ferre
Lake Mary, Florida