Fwd: How To Bathe A Cat NO LBC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: How To Bathe A Cat NO LBC
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:01:44 EDT
Really hate to start this again - but what the he##

Larry

 How To Bathe A Cat

 (Note:  Jeffery LaCroix is a veterinarian with an office in
 Wilmington. He writes a column for the Morning Star called
 "From Paws to Tails."

 Here is his response to a letter regarding bathing a cat:)

 Dear Dr. LaCroix:  I've heard that cats never have to be
 bathed, and that they have some sort of special enzyme in
 their saliva that keeps them clean.  This doesn't sound
 believable to me because there are definite "kitty" odors
 on my couch and dirty cat paw prints on our white hearth.
 Is this true about the saliva?  If we do decide to give
 "Nice Kitty" a bath, how do we do that? - NSP, Wilmington

 Dear NSP:  Fortunately for you, several years ago a client
 gave me a written set of instructions about cat bathing
 which I am privileged to share with you:

 Cat Bathing As A Martial Art

 A.  Know that although the cat has the advantage of
 quickness and lack of concern for human life, you have
 the advantage of strength.

 Capitalize on that advantage by selecting the battlefield.
 Don't try to bathe him in an open area where he can force
 you to chase him.  Pick a very small bathroom.

 If your bathroom is more than four feet square, I recommend
 that you get in the tub with the cat and close the sliding
 -glass doors as if you were about to take a shower.
 (A simple shower curtain will not do.  A berserk
 cat can shred a three-ply rubber shower curtain quicker than
 a politician can shift positions.)

 B.  Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to
 remove all the skin from your body.  Your advantage here
 is that you are smart and know how to dress to protect
 yourself.

 I recommend canvas overalls tucked into high-top
 construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army
 helmet, a hockey face-mask, and a long-sleeved flak jacket.

 C.  Use the element of surprise.  Pick up your cat
 nonchalantly, as if to simply carry him to his supper dish.
 (Cats will not usually notice your strange attire.  They have
 little or no interest in fashion as a rule.)

 D.  Once you are inside the bathroom, speed is essential to
 survival.  In a single liquid motion, shut the bathroom door,
 step into the tub enclosure, slide the glass door shut, dip
 the cat in the water and squirt him with shampoo.

 You have begun one of the wildest 45 seconds of your life.

 E.  Cats have no handles.  Add the fact that he now has
 soapy fur, and the problem is radically compounded.

 Do not expect to hold on to him for more than two or three
 seconds at a time.  When you have him, however, you must
 remember to give him another squirt of shampoo and rub
 like crazy.

 He'll then spring free and fall back into the water, thereby
 rinsing himself off. (The national record for cats is three
 latherings, so don't expect too much.)

 F.  Next, the cat must be dried.  Novice cat bathers always
 assume this part will be the most difficult, for humans
 generally are worn out at this point and the cat is just
 getting really determined.

 In fact, the drying is simple compared with what you have
 just been through.

 That's because by now the cat is semi-permanently affixed to
 your right leg.

 You simply pop the drain plug with your foot, reach for your
 towel and wait.  (Occasionally, however, the cat will end up
 clinging to the top of your army helmet.  If this happens,
 the best thing you can do is to shake him loose and to
 encourage him toward your leg.)  After all the water is
 drained from the tub, it is a simple matter to just reach
 down and dry the cat.

 In a few days the cat will relax enough to be removed from
 your leg.  He will usually have nothing to say for about
 three weeks and will spend a lot of time sitting with his
 back to you.

 He might even become psychoceramic and develop the fixed
 stare of a plaster figurine.

 You will be tempted to assume he is angry.

 This isn't usually the case.

 As a rule he is simply plotting ways to get through your
 defenses and injure you for life the next time you decide
 to give him a bath.

 But at least now he smells a lot better.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?