Re: B&G Follies

To: buster_balz@operamail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: B&G Follies
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:10:49 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/99 11:42:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
buster_balz@operamail.com writes:

<< There is one other benefit of aluminum heads. Because of better heat
transfer
 properties, they are capable of handling higher compression ratios on the
same
 octane street gasoline without detonation or pinging that the standard iron
 heads. >>

True, Joe, but the 'pingability' of stock heads is not as bad as some people
think. It is often due to sharp edges that can be eliminated in the chamber,
or carbon build up which can likewise be dealt with.

And increased compression is not very much benefit unless other changes are
made to the engine, changes like cam timing that anyone living in an area
with smog checks can't in any case make without risking failing.

I think the point is that the same money spent on your original head will get
you good results and leave enough money left over to rebuild  (or fit) the
twin SUs instead of using something like those pathetic downdraft Webers.

I say this as a person who has all alloy heads on his MG's/TVR, either
Twincam or HRG, though I do retain the CI head on the MGC.

I think a lot of the urge to buy a non-Xflow alloy head stems from the same
association of something 'racy' with anything with a Weber name on it.  Makes
you feel like you are really accomplishing something even if you aren't.
Obviously, this sort of marketing works, as all the downdraft Weber and
needless Mallory ignition conversions will attest.

I guess if that sort of 'value' works for a particular person, then for them
it is money well spent.

Bill