Re: Got the Bonnet Open! - Car won't start!

To: "Avi Flax" <avi@pccdesign.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Got the Bonnet Open! - Car won't start!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:40:09 +0100
That little harness on the battery terminals is non-standard as far as I am
aware, if it isn't connected to anything remove it.

Did you connect the jump leads to the battery terminals?  If so and you
still had no electrical activity in the car then one or more connections
between the battery and the car is bad.  Could be where the ground cable
from the battery bolts to the body, or where the battery cable bolts to the
solenoid (my 75 V8 also has a battery connection point under the floor, it
could be here as well).

Put a test lamp or meter on the battery posts.  If it shows anything at all
track that through to the body and to the solenoid, otherwise you will have
to recharge the battery or connect the jump leads before you can start to
track it through.  If you get it to the solenoid check at the bottom fuse,
if it gets through that ontop the purple then interior lights and horn
should be working.  If that's OK track it through the brown to the ignition
switch and out on the white back to the 2nd fuse up on the fuse block, the
oil and the fuel pump.

One question on the jump leads - are you sure they were OK?  The copper ones
are OK but the cheap aluminium ones go high-resistance.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/