Re: the big drain.

To: "Rick Huber" <rickhuber@home.com>, <dstieber@paccar.com>
Subject: Re: the big drain.
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:03:53 +0100
Slow cranking is unlikely to be a problem with the ignition switch because
the switch operates a relay which operates the solenoid and it is that which
carries the current.

Connect a voltmeter from the hot terminal of the battery (not the clamp, the
actual terminal post) to the hot terminal of the starter if you can get to
it or the hot terminal of the solenoid if you can't.  Crank the engine and
take a voltage reading.

Now do the same from the ground terminal post of the battery and the body of
the starter.

If you get more than about 0.25v for either reading you have less than ideal
connections somewhere along the line (so to speak), if you are getting more
than a volt you have a significantly bad connection.

Use the same technique to measure the volt-drops along the hot and ground
circuits, but the usual culprits are the battery cable to battery box
connection and both ends of the engine to body ground strap.  It could be
anything, though, and quite possibly more than one.

This is all assuming you have a decent voltage at the battery posts while
cranking.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/