Re: custom engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: custom engine
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:39:36 -0600
On the cam topic - I installed a performance cam in my 71 BGT many years
ago. First, I sent an old cam to Isky Cams to be reground. So first mistake
is I sent one of my worn (mild wear) cams figuring they would fix it.

I installed the reground cam and never noticed any performance difference
at all on my rebuilt engine.
But a year or so later, at 40k miles, I noticed no movement on some valves
when I was adjusting the valve lash. So I pulled the cam and found that
some of the lobes were completely gone and others well rounded!!

Isky claimed MG cams were soft and wore easily or something like that. So I
put in another old stock cam maybe 90-100k miles ago with no problems. And
haven't tried any other cam since then. And I won't - however, at some
later time, I might consider it if other listers know a source of good
reliable performance cams at a reasonable price (and hopefully a guarantee).

David

>        Re: cam and engine mods:
>

>        My  $.02 on this is different than Lawrie's because of different car
>used... I used a mid-range cam (generic, but about identical to the Kent) in
>my 68 BGT and Loved It, both cruising and driving hard. Mileage wasn't
>notably affected, except maybe more by how I drove than the cam...<g>
> The major difference of course is that the 78 Lawrie mentioned was a
>smog/cat/low compression motor, mine had no smog and higher
compression............