Fwd: stopping interior leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: stopping interior leaks
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:51:04 -0400
But guys, you have to realize that leaking is part of your B's genetic
code.  Fix one leak and it will start another somewhere.  If you have a
leak you can live with, I say leave it alone.  If you succeed in fixing it,
your B will start to leak some other fluid from someplace else - and it may
be a far worse problem.

BTW - the interior leaks in my two current Bs come from: (1) defective
header rail seal.  Water drips off the rear view mirror and thence to the
console by the gear shift lever; and (2) Defective or poorly fitting
windscreen seal INSIDE the frame in the lower corners.  Water runs in here,
runs under the dash and thence to my pance ("thents to my pants"?).  Also,
the place just below the lower windscreen corners where the vertical part
of the frame meets the horizontal part (look on the outside) creates a
similar leak.  The black body sealant stuff you roll up in your fingers and
force into the crack stops this leak, while in my case, it created an
antifreeze leak on the lower radiator hose. I fixed that and the rear
shocks started leaking.  If this does not make sense to you, I can only
suggest that you give up your MG for a Miata.

Allen

PS: somebody else on the list suggested it to me: if you want to tempt
fate, try cleaning out the bulb on  the end of the drain hose for the air
intake cavity.  But be prepared to replace the rear mainseal if you do...

From: "Terry O'Brien" <mgrepairs@yahoo.com>

>...I find the major culprits to
>be the heater box seal (black box holding the heater core) and the
>rubber grommets for the heater control and choke cables.  All of which
>are best sealed with household caulk containing silicone.
>
>The truck leaks are often caused by the lid getting out of alignment
>with the seal due to DPOs trying to close it without first releasing
>the stay.  Sometimes just bending it back does the trick.
>
>The 78 MGB I'm about to buy has some sort of interior leak that is
>allowing the carpets to get wet...

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127