Customs Info for Aussies

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Customs Info for Aussies
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:04:36 +1000
Hi all,

OK I am p***** off, just a WEE bit. But never mind I'll get over it. <G>

Here's the dice - I ordered some flat top pistons from Malvern Racing for my
MGB race car. Great company to deal with BTW. These things are being
delivered by UPS. I get a call from them, asking me what the package was.
"Was it Racing parts?" Like a dummy I said "No, it's for my street car" (I
will use it on the street only to drive to the track and back!). Then the
guy asks me how old the car is. I say "1970". He says, thats a pity, I say
"Why?", he says "Oh you just miss out on the vintage discount for cars older
than 30 yrs old".... At this point I scream rather loudly. ;)

So get this. I pay 15% duty on these parts, plus 22% sales tax. So I pay 37%
more for these pistons. If the car was older than 30yrs old, then it would
be 25% total. Just 3% duty. I also figure now that if I had said they were
purely for race use I would have had very little duty as the parts are not
used on the road.. Anyone confirm this?

So anyway people, make sure if you get something for your +30yr old car,
mark the outside of the box that the parts are for such car. Explains why I
got hit 37% for the rocker shaft I brought in from Moss last time. I don't
understand this customs stuff.1/2 the time I get charged nothing, the other
half I get ripped off. Ridiculous.

I gather this GST will mean the axeing of the 22% sales tax and we will then
pay only what 12% or whatever... Pigs might fly!!! <G>

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2