How-to video for paint.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: How-to video for paint.
From: Jurgen Hartwig <turbo6bar@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 12:58:22 PDT
Enrique et al,  for the absolute beginner, I recommend Len Stuart's video
Painting 101.  It will give you a decent primer on painting, but it doesn't
go into great detail about HOW to paint.  Actions such as stroke speed, gun
distance, and spray pattern differ based on the equipment used and the
material sprayed.

I recommend you purchase this video and then ask questions on his BBS. The
website is www.autobodystore.com.  Len is a great guy, and his assistance
yielded me a very nice paintjob on my Porsche.  We were having problems with
laying the clear on the car, and we later found it was the Devilbiss HVLP
gun.  We purchased a convential gun and now we are in the big leagues.  We
already have two paintjobs for other people lined up.  Painting is really
easy work, ONCE you know what you are doing.  Before, we would paint the car
and spend hours sanding one body panel.  Two days ago we sanding out the
clearcoat in less than two hours flat, and the finish rivals almost all
paintjobs coming out of the car factories.

I recommend you use urethane and clearcoat for your car.  It is very easy to
apply, given the right equipment, and if you make mistakes, it is one of the
easier paints to repair.

Jay

BTW. A good spray gun for basecoat-clearcoat is going to cost you $200+.
The paint is the next biggest cost.  Make sure your prepwork is good, or
your paint will look like sh*t.