Re: Dragging starter - missing earth strap on 57 'A'

To: "Pleczko, Rick" <Rick.Pleczko@MissionCritical.com>
Subject: Re: Dragging starter - missing earth strap on 57 'A'
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:01:18
At 11:47 PM 7/4/99 -0500, Rick Pleczko wrote:
>.... I looked to see if the earth strap from the engine to the chassis was
connecting badly.

>I found that it wasn't connecting at all, in fact I can't seem to find
one. Can anybody enlighten me and tell me where the strap is supposed to be

The most convenient place I find is across the left engine mount, although
it's much easier to install there when the manifolds are off the engine.
In a pinch, crossing the right engine mount works about as well, just need
to remove the generator for that manuver.  It is also sometimes mounted
between the rear bolt of the cylinder head and and the nearest bolt on the
heater shelf (just a little unsightly).  Or alternately it can go from a
bell housing bolt to the firewall, usually with a jam nut on the bottom end
of a floor board bolt.

Good luck,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude