Re: Timing is everything

To: <RobMGB@aol.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing is everything
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:41:09 -0700
Yes, the pinch nut is the one to loosen to rotate the distributor, with a
few caveats:

1. if you only need one or two degrees more adjustment, try loosening the
the two bolts on either end that go into the block. The front one is
still difficult to get at, but there is some play in the holes in the
base plate, and you can rotate the distributor this way a little bit
without touching the pinch nut.

2. the pinch nut is rather a last resort, in that it is so difficult to
get at, and that its scissor-grip on the thin-wall aluminum distributor
housing is so precarious. Be very careful not to over tighten this bolt,
and make sure the distributor is fully seated and square. If you've gone
to the trouble of loosening it, then run the vernier screw back into the
center of its range, and set the timing with the pinch nut. That way
you'll have plenty of adjustment either way with the vernier in the
future, and not have to mess with the clamp at all. Repeated tightening
of this clamp will inevitably crack the distributor housing, eventually
resulting in a distributor that won't stay timed.

My 2¢...

RobMGB@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim