Happy norwegian GT owner

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Happy norwegian GT owner
From: jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:28:59 +0200
I have only been listening to this group for a while, but i think it is time
to give some thanks for all the hints I have got. Since I do not have
Internet acces at home, I have to write in the office, after work, so I
usualy prefer to go home.
Here are some info, and one question at the end. I post post more questions
later, since workload is a bit lower in summer.

I have already covered around 2000 Miles ( Ca 3000 Km) LOTS of fun.

Lots of electrical 'problems', Most of them due to bad/broken connectors.
Easy to fix, when you know where to look first.  Also turn signal did not
work, easy fix, replaced defective bulb !
THANKS LIST

But the horn did not work, -12V on one side, when I pressed the horn button,
I had ground on the other side. Defective horn I thought, and borrowed a new
from a friend. Still no horn. Hmmm....
Tested the wires, tested the horn, Hm..... Then I remembered reading
something about dirty or corroded fuse box. Cleaned the fuse and the
connectors, and hurra, horn is now working. When i tried to draw current
through the corroded connector, the voltage loss over the connectors was to
big.
THANKS   LIST

The brakes work well, but not all is in good condition. Rear brake cylinders
was only honed ( I think that is the english word ? ) They are still
leaking, and will be replaced. I decided to have the brake job done, by a
workshop, used to old cars. ( They are working on a beautiful Morgan beside
my MGB GT)
Hand brake does not work, dry cable, and the grease nipple does not allow
any grease trough . New handbake cable is ordered.

Someone talked on the list about the 'wonderfull' MG steering. I thought is
was hard.  The front suspension was greased last year by a profesional. I
JACKED UP the front, greased the suspension, and ... instant power-steering.
Almost. So much  for the profesionals.
I plan a check of the front suspension, and will probably pay someone to do
it.

The rear of the car is VERY low.
Almost no up and down movement, (but lots of sideways movement!!!!)  Rear
springs and bushes are ordered. I also ordered a new set of adjustable
telescopic dampers. The car was converted ca 16 years ago, so I guess it is
about time to replace them.
Question:
When I jack up the rear of the car, I usually put the axle stands under the
axle :-), but when I am going to replase the rear springs I have to jack up
the car, and put the support somewhere else, but where ?
Please, use english for dummies, remember I am Norwegian ! I spend enough
time reading the Haynes/Bently manual, trying to understand.

Tia
Jon Arikstad
1970 MG-B GT
1987 MB-230E