Battery explosion ... propulsion systems offline

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery explosion ... propulsion systems offline
From: Parker J Whiteway <parkerw@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 21:21:00 EDT
Hi everyone,
        Here's an interesting story about an MGA who's battery exploded,
no one knows why, and now it won't start.  Here's what happened...

  I was driving along, and as I slowed to a stop light, I pushed in the
clutch and braked, the engine rpms dropped and there was a gunshot sound
followed by a strange smell.  I drove around for another half hour, even
parking twice, and it started each time.  Twice more though, when pulling
into a stop, the engine would die.  The third time, it quit and wouldn't
budge.  The engine wouldn't turn over and it didn't seem to be making any
effort to.  My friend and I pushed it to a foreign car place and we
looked at the battery, which was missing all the cell caps, and we tried
to roll-start it, unsuccessfully.  The fuel pump would click, but the
starter wasn't even trying.  My friend and I then began pushing it to
another friends house, a couple blocks away.  On a hill, we tried roll
starting again, it didn't work at all, and this was a good try too.  So,
we got to the house and I left it there as I needed to go to work.  Is
there a way to test whether the generator and starter are working without
a battery??  This battery was ??? years old and I'm pretty sure its
completely shot, so I'm going to try to jump start it tonite just to get
it back to my house, where I can get a better look.

Also, now that I need  a new battery, any recommendations?  I know I
should convert back to the twin 6-volts, but for $200 I could buy 3
decent 12-volts, so those of you with experience, I need your wisdom.

TIA,

Parker Whiteway

57 MGA on its second day of roadworthiness and it quits on me, jeez!