clutch gone

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch gone
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:11:57 EDT
I think Alan meant you can just remove the Motor if you like. The tranny
comes out by itself only with the aid of a large gas torch.
IF you go with engine-only removal, be aware that although it's definately
faster, reassembly can be trickier... bell housing bolt clearances are
limited for one thing. IMHO you need to have several things:
To be able to have the rear of the car on stands with an assistant to rock
the wheels so the input shaft rotates.
Good thin profile 1/2 inch wrench or preferably ratcheting box-end wrench
 A good engine balancer that will let you make subtle adjustments in the
angle of the engine
 A floor jack under the trans.
Longer than standard bell housing bolts to use as pilots to aid alignment
Given all that, it's certainly faster, I've done both ways lots of times,
but do it wrong and you'll damage your new clutch and perhaps your tranny as
well. If you have any question about tranny mounts, u joints, etc, you might
as well pull engine and trans both at the same time.

As far as throwout bearings go, my parts vendor and everyone else I know
swear by  the bushing type throwout, and swear AT the bearing type. The
bearing type are well reputed for failing at 20-30K miles after replacement,
I know of no one who would recommend them. My one experience with the *&%#*#
things confirmed this.
Borg and Beck do seem to be the most common clutches, (although Lucas was
marketing a clutch for a while, if you wish to tempt fate <g> ) I've used
many borg & becks and have had no reason to not use them again.
Vicky brit has somewhat of a reputation (see thread last month) of not always
providing the highest quality parts, I don't personally think I'd buy a
non-brand name clutch from them.