Sloppy Box

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sloppy Box
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:29:20 +0000
OK, so maybe it is not sloppy but it is certainly negligent in its
responsibilities.  Well what would you think of your gearbox if, on hard
decelleration or accelleration (it now turns out) it just decided to
'let go' of second gear.  That is, it simply spits the gear stick back
into neutral with a rather disturbing THUNK.

Towards the end of a day of 'training' at our local racetrack the first
symptom was a growing difficulty in getting it into second gear when
under rapid decelleration at the end of a long straight.  Synchro in 2nd
was not behaving.  When I *was* able to get her into 2nd after really
hard braking, I put the foot down to accelerate through the esses...
THUNK... NEUTRAL.  It can be a frightening thing, so I called it quits.

After cooling down and under 'normal' driving conditions these symptoms
disappear completely.

My trusted MG guru people could not see the cause on first examination
after dropping the box (yes, and engine) and so will have to start
dismantling it at $45 p/h... I was wondering if anyone might offer the
suggestion which might shorten their search ;-)  (as annoying as my
looking over their shoulders and second-guessing them might be).

Fire away... I need a few bucks left in my pocket to pay for all those
other bits and pieces that will get me through scrutineering in August!

Eric
'68MGB MkII