SCCA Autocross (was: Re: MGB Tire Pressures)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: SCCA Autocross (was: Re: MGB Tire Pressures)
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:38:00 EDT
Well I was going to write this up today - but it was hectic at work. Not
even sure what my office looks like today :-)

Sunday AM about 7:30 I took off to drive to Allentown, PA. Allen is very
much into SCCA stuff so he hooked me up with it. Got to the Allentown
fairgrounds about 9 or so. Had to register and pass Tech. As Allen said -
cuz of the banged up bonnet I couldn't get it open to show the tech guy
the battery was secure. Well if you look in a RB Midget and see where the
battery is you know it is secure. I was car # 8 in the morning heat.
After all was said and done I would have rather been in the second heat
as I got a better look at the course.
First run - No joy I missed a gate. I have no Idea what my time was, it
was officially a DNF - Off Course. Second run missed the same durn gate.
DNFed again. Third run - I took my time , after one of the support folks
pointed out what gate I missed. Made the whole course!! My time was 28.9
or so. Fourth run I knew the course so I pushed a little harder and
missed the sweeper at the turn around - outside the cones - another DNF.
Sheesh. Then they made me park :-(  For the second heat I worked Station
1 and got to watch the other cars run the course.
Learned a lot watching the other cars. Picked up a few cones when they
ran over them.
The fastest run of the day was a guy in a Miata he had trailered in (I
could be wrong about that but Allen will correct me if I am) I believe
his time was about 19 something seconds.The Miata had tires that were
about 1 inch from the wheel to the ground and about 15 inches wide.

After all the competition runs were through we got to take a few runs for
fun. I hit a 27.4!!

I found out the tires I put on the Midget will not hold in a stressful
corner. I had Michelins on the Midget when I last ran an autocross - 9
years ago. The Continentals that I put on 3 years ago just don't hold as
well as the Michies did. I never got completely sideways but I was doing
some serious sliding. Man what fun!!!!

It was a gorgeous day and I had a blast. Will do it again!!

Larry

PS I got a 7th out of 19 cars on one officially timed run.

>In a message dated 7/11/99 9:55:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Lmacy1211@aol.com writes:
>
><< I went to an autocross today (7th out of 19) and it was interesting to
> watch folks changing tire pressures between runs. They were changing
> pressure by a couple of ounces at a time, and a different rate depending
> on what they felt on the previous run.  >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Yep, Larry was at his first autocross in a few years and he did really
>well.  This was at the Allentown Sportsfest at the old Allentown
>Fairgrounds.  Philly Region SCCA put it on and we had 41 cars.  19 in
>Novice class, and Larry came in 7th and got a trophy!  Not bad for a beat
>up '78 Midget with Saturn dents!
>
>It was a fun day and great weather.
>
>Allen Hefner
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS class - 2nd out of 2...oh well, it was
>fun!)

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?