Re: Fuel pump run-on and leak

To: "Walt Goddard" <waltcpa@sierra.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump run-on and leak
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:18:36 -0700
Walt,

Well, I am not sure about a Webber DGV, however I had this problem when I
first got
my B with HIF style SU's.  The problem was that the needles in the carbs
were sticking
open.  So, the carbs were never building up any pressure to shut the fuel
pump off. :(
The fuel would fill the carbs then escape into the fuel vapor removal
system as you are describing.

That thing in your trunk is supposed to be for collecting gasoline vapor
that your car does not
burn.  Supposedly, it collects the vapor allows it to flow back into the
gas tank.
And no it should not leak.  First of all, if the car is working properly
there should be little or no
fuel being recirculated in this manner.  Secondly, if fuel is being
recirculated and all of the hoses
are in tact the fuel should end up back in the tank not in the trunk. :)

If all of the hoses are installed correctly, I believe that the only way
that fuel can get back into that system
as you have described is through your carb.  I would check your carb float
and make sure nothing is sticking open.
However, when your Webber was installed it is possible that this
recirculation system was altered to bypass the
carb all together.  Their should be some hoses that run from the general
location of your carb over to the right corner
of the engine compartment (possibly to a charcoal canister), they then
connect to steel (or maybe copper) tubes
which run under the car back to that thing in the trunk.  If these hoses
are bypassing the carb, it might be your
pressure regulator or a simple blocked fuel line.

There are some places to start looking
Hope this helps a little.

-JW

At 08:41 AM 7/13/99 -0700, Walt Goddard wrote:
>Car had a bad gasoline smell on the way home last night.  Had just filled up
>so didn't check until I got home.  The round whatsit in the trunk with the
>hose from the fuel tank and the one that runs around the trunk and back had
>broken loose and the hose to the fuel tank had broken.  Had about a quart of
>gasoline in the trunk!!  I'll know to check sooner next time.  What the heck
>is that thing for anyway and should fuel come out of that hose the way it
>did?
>
>Second thing I noticed was that the fuel pump is not shutting off.  I let it
>run for about 2 minutes to see if fuel was running somewhere but could not
>find any.  Could it just pump against itself like that?  I thought it was
>supposed to shut off after pressure built up.  I have a Purolator pressure
>regulator set at 2.5 just before the carb ( a Weber DGV).  Car started fine
>after the 2 minutes so fuel doesn't seem to be going through the carb.  Also
>noticed when I installed the regulator that there was no fuel in the line I
>cut.  Seems strange there would be no fuel in the fuel line just before the
>carb.
>
>Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.  TIA
>
>Walt Goddard
>waltcpa@sierra.net
>
>By the way saw a pretty red MG in the Raley's parking lot in Elko, NV
>yesterday.  Don't know enough about the older ones but it must have been a
>TF or TD.  Really nice car!

~= Early 1974 MGB =~