wire to bolt-on conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: wire to bolt-on conversion
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:35:09 EDT
The Moss catalog has a handy driveshaft/rear end chart. You should be able to
figure out what's happening from that.

>From what I recall, the Salisbury has a shorter nose. Using an early
driveshaft and a changing to a 4syncro on my 66, the banjo type required
compressing the driveshaft a bit but it still was within range.
 On the other hand, the changing from the 3 syncro to the 3 syncro OD  in my
friends roadster with the Salisbury rear end (late 67 steel dash, backup
lights, earless knockoffs, all original from the factory, weird I know but
well documented) left us well short and we had to go to the longest size,
which if we had paid attention to the Moss catalog we would have known in
advance since that was the spec of the GTs pre-68.
My personal preference is for the Salisbury. It isn't as easy to take apart
but is reputed to be stronger, with different ratios it handled both the C
and the V8. Having said that, you don't hear about the banjo type breaking
either... so you might as well use whatever you can get your hands on!

Of course check leaf springs, brakes, brake springs, drums and wheel
cylinders while you're there, and make sure you have good and well lubed
U-Joints. All new fasteners on the driveshaft is a good habit..."pay me now
or pay me later"
Make sure your U-bolts on the springs cinch down evenly and that the new axle
is centered properly on the springs. The axle seating pad bushings and
shackle pin bushings are best checked or replaced, polyurethanes are a great
upgrade to do while you're already there, get high quality stuff (Moss has
them) and use the pre-lube as directed. Make sure your brake lines don't have
kinks from chains being wrapped around them or whatever...