Re: MC, Black Muck, DOT 5

To: JustBrits@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MC, Black Muck, DOT 5
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:06:27 -0500
Ed:

>> I also did a more complete job of flushing
>> the system by removing the calipers

>   Did you split the calipers??

Wasn't feeling quite that brave.  What I did was remove the calipers, and
flush them on the bench.  Removed the pads.  Washed the exteriors in
soapy hot water after plugging the holes, then blew them dry.  Used a M16
rifle cleaning brush and a bit of brake cleaner to remove the accumulated
ridge of gunk on the exterior of the piston.

Removed the plug, bleeder nipple, and hose fitting, and shot them half
full of brake cleaner.  Shook them up, drained, repeated.  Ran clear this
time.  Then did the same with denatured alcohol and set upside down to
drain/drip dry.  Reinstalled plugs, et al., and washed exterior again.
Masked off and painted.

No problems, no leaks, and a lot more peace of mind.

Rich