'76 B: I deserved a brake today. End of thread!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '76 B: I deserved a brake today. End of thread!
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:22:27 -0400
Hi list,

Thanks to so many who responded to my problem.  Now I can report WOW,
VOILA, EUREKA, and lots more!  The problem is solved.

The RR adjuster has been bothering me - I couldn't feel the 'detents' every
90º, so today I pulled the RR drum.  Now here comes the real FLUKE...
what's that inside the drum?  Why it's a brake lining!  The lining had
completely detached from the forward shoe. It was at the bottom of the drum
when I took it off - presumably it rotated as far as the other shoe would
let it - but that meant no shoe for the adjuster to press against.  To keep
things in balance, I replaced shoes on both sides.  Now I really have
brakes!!!  Perhaps it's a combination of several previous problems but with
new MC, new calipers, new servo, and now new shoes, they feel much better
than they ever have.  Solid short pedal, and in test panic stops the car
remains straight.  Didn't know late-model servo-assisted brakes could feel
this good or work this well!

There's a moral here somewhere.  On more than one occasion, the solution to
a problem has been a fluke - something simple that I overlooked.  A lot of
this was unnecessary I'm sure, but then there is some piece of mind in
knowing the entire brake system is tip-top.

But never in a million years would I have guessed a loose brake lining.
And if I were to guess what the symptoms of a loose lining might be, I
would suspect some strange noises from that drum - NOT a soft pedal.
Strange - the right rear was the wheel that had been locking up first in
hard braking.  Go figure...

Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs