gearbox oil and High Flow oil pump conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: gearbox oil and High Flow oil pump conversion
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:34:44 -0700
Pardon my beating on this issue, but I've seen too
many "light seeking rods" and suchlike caused by
people being too enthusiastic about engine modifications.

I want to be absolutely certain that if I perform
this modification, I won't cause myself to need yet
another motor after 1,000 miles again.

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 12:44:27AM -0500, gary & traci wrote:
> its in the compation1800 engine manual  from moss or TRF about $10 i did it
> to mine along with the windage tray that is also in the book
I just found directions in Tuning BMC sports cars by Mike Garton
on p45 and a dwg on p 49.

There seem to be two parts to this exercise:

1) boring out the suction hole from the pickup to the pump

2) Hogging out material in the cap so that the pump
gets oil coming in from both ends rather than just
one.

However on p.65, in the chapter on the 5 main engine it says
that the modifications outlined for the oil pump were
standard.  Despite this note, both oil pumps that I have
resemble the "before" drawing in the book.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I talked to the redline tech support guy and he reccomended
redline MT90, it supposadly works well with the clutches and synchros
and is a bit thicker than the mtl so O/Ds can develope high enough
oil pressure

   Larry
   lrc@red4est.com