Re: brake fluid

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:48:39 -0700
The critical thing about Castrol GT/LMA brake fluid is not the regulatory
test rating (DOT 4, DOT 5) or the performance specs (boiling point, etc).
It is the "solvent" chemistry -- Castrol GT doesn't seem to melt down the
rubber seals supplied for use in LBCs, as other brands of brake fluid
frequently do. Perhaps there is another brand that has the same
properties, but if so, it has not been identified. Possibly some brands
of seals are more resistant than others -- these have not been identifed,
either. Given this general state of ignorance, using anything other than
Castrol GT in your MG's brake system is a gamble. This bit of "folk
wisdom" was being passed around via word of mouth 20 years ago, and from
what I have seen on this list, is still true today.

Silicone fluids, which don't harm paint and therefore may be presumed to
be non-solvents, may be an exception. I don't have any experience with
them myself.

Terry O'Brien had this to say:

--

Max Heim