Signing off for awhile

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Signing off for awhile
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:54:08 -0400
Now that the brake problems on the '76 B are solved (YES...!!!),  tomorrow
morning, we pack up our Damask red '73  and head for Sarnia Ontario to
visit family and then on to Grand Bend for the Hosers Eh! GT where we hope
to meet lots of other listers.  After that, it's back to Sarnia for
Florrie's dad's 80th birthday (hey, this guy still goes upstairs two at a
time!), on to Hamilton to visit more family, to Toronto to visit an old
teacher, then down to Buffalo and back to Virginia.

I think that in addition to the tools, manuals and spare parts, we have
room for a change of sox and a toothbrush each.  We'll be doing my favorite
thing - long trips in the B - driving back roads ("blue highways") as much
as possible - and never much more than 300 miles a day - stopping for
whatever looks interesting and no night driving (a major consideration for
us OFs).  Tomorrow night we'll be in Zanesville Ohio and Tuesday we'll make
Sarnia.

Paradox here is that the '76 has overdrive - great road car even on the
interstates.  But it's not detailed - ' prefer to take the '73 to shows -
even without O/D.  I draw the 'cruise redline' at 3500 rpm.  The engine can
stand more - the driver cannot.  On the backroads, that's still enough to
give us a speeding ticket - and I feel better on the road if we're
understressing the drive train anyway.  I have an overdrive tranny for the
'73.  One of these years it's going in...

This brings me to the point of all this.  To avoid about 8000 messages when
we return, I'm going to sign off for awhile.  Many thanks to all those who
have helped me (and a lot of you don't know it because you were answering
somebody else's question while I saved your advice for future reference)
and I hope I've  returned the favor to one or two of you.  I know what I'm
going to do when I get too old to work on my MGs - I'll spend fulltime
bombing this list with my albeit geriatric octagonal enthusiasm.  And you
will all rejoice when my arthritis gets so bad I can't qopeuizx[kn
bm;lk()*&^#%$9 871-uj any more.

Love y'all (as we say here in the southern colonies),

Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127