Rattling exhaust and leaking tappet covers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rattling exhaust and leaking tappet covers
From: "chief bootknocker" <mowog77@theglobe.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:09:06 -0700
I just did a carb conversion on my 77B. I converted to the HS4 configuration. I
installed an entire exhaust manifold and intake manifold with HS4s etc, from a
71. I bought the Falcon SS exhaust and it went in very easily, but it was about
an inch off from the little cutout (tunnel-like) under the driver's seat. I
tried to bend it a little and got it half way into it, but now it rattles. Can
anyone give me a fix recommendation?

Also, while I had the manifolds off, I figured I should pull the tappet covers
off and replace the gaskets (rubber). I did, but now the front one leaks!!!
I am a meticulous cleaner and I can say with confidence that I cleaned it very
well so that it was nothing but flat metal that the gasket went against.
What is the trick, if there is one?

TIA
Erik.

"Free web-based email available now at http://www.theglobe.com";