RE: reproduction fenders

To: "Calvin Krug" <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: reproduction fenders
From: "BMack" <bmack99@home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:53:21 -0700
Here is Kelvin's responce to the comments:

"Other supplied sheetmetal such as BMHT panels are coated in a thin
topcoat.  This is for rust prevention in transit and storage ONLY!!  This
coating is not suitable as a primer as it is not porous, or designed for
good adhesion.  These panels should be stripped to bare metal before
painting and primed with a suitable bare metal primer.  Think how many
greasy fingers have been over these panels before you receive them."

<If you remove it, then you'll need to use a metal etching primer before
your regular primer>

I like metal etch primer for bare sheetmetal (not aluminum) but a good epoxy
is sufficient.

<since normal paints don't adhere to bare metal,and most primers aren't
watertight>

Most primers ARE, New urethanes are, why do you "wet sand"? They just have
poor resiliancy to leave the car outside in the rain for 3 months.

<since normal paints don't adhere to bare metal>

No paint adheres to Bare metal except "Trem Clad" and I wouldn't paint my
car with it.

Sorry, not trying to be a know-it-all but...just want to keep it straight...
I will be adding a Primer page to the website within the week, there are a
lot of mis-nomers on primers and paint!

"Restoringly" Yours,
Bryce Mack
Classic Auto Restoration Services
BODYWORK - METALFORMING - PREP & PAINT - WOODWORK
Web Page: http://members.home.net/bmack99/paneldoctor/
FAQ's - How-To's - Tools