Engine using oil

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine using oil
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:40:26 -0300
The engine in my 73 is using a lot of oil.  I have to add 1L (1 quart) of
20W50 every time I fill the tank, about 300 miles.  I did a compression test
with the following results: 135 145 145 104.  I forgot to put a tablespoon
of oil down each cylinder and redo the compression test.  The car does not
smoke at idle or under normal load but does smoke under moderate to heavy
acceleration.  The engine has approximately 74,000 on it and to my knowledge
has not had any work done on it.  The car does not leak any noticeable
amount of oil determined by the lack of a stain on the ground where it is
normal parked at home.  Oil pressure is 75 psi cold and about 53 psi hot and
around 35 psi at idle when hot.  The engine runs smooth and has good power.
I'm certain that I am looking at a valve job but it there something else
that would be contributing to my oil consumption?

Mark Jones
73 MGB GT