Ignition switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition switch
From: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 20:44:47 -0400
    At a convenience store last week, I started my GT and the ignition
switch stuck in the start/crank position! I immediately tried to turn off
the ignition........... the key broke off in my hand! There I sit, starter
motor spinning wildly, the engine already started and also being forced
along by the starter motor. I put the car in gear, press the brake and let
the clutch out.........Silence....      What now???? I pushed the clutch
in, the starter motor again starts spinning wildly, and again the engine
already started is being forced along by the starter motor!! Again, I put
the car in gear, press the brake and let the clutch out. Again,
silence...... I know the brake has forcefully halted all this kinetic
energy.  I KNOW the battery is still providing current to the starter
motor. I pull the emergency brake, let the clutch out..silence...and
frantically race to disconnect the battery. You know how long that takes. I
probably burned the starter and maybe wires.
    Towed to my mechanic. Next day an experienced locksmith removes the
ignition switch and says "I do declaira, this switch is wored out" (this is
an East Tennessee MG)
    I'll deal with the starter and wires later. WHERE do I find a new
ignition switch????

Tom Buchanan
buchanan@preferred.com
http://pages.preferred.com/~buchanan/mg.html