clutch (longish)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch (longish)
From: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:30:13 -0400
Ok, here is the problem. In my 67B I have found a few apparantly
related problems with the clutch and I do not know if it if repairable
with the hydraulics or if it the throw out bearing or option #3 which is
I don't know. I have found that when shifting I can just about count to
two before the transmission finally engages after getting off the clutch
pedal. A few times I have found it refusing to engage at all at a stop
and I have to let traffic pass so I can roll back to safety and pump the
hard to pump pedal until it all of a sudden gets easy again. That
problem is very intermittant but the shifting is a constant problem. I
have bled it on two occasions and right after I did it the firtst time
it was great but then it soon deteriated again. The first time I bled it
it came out muddy olive drab (chunky style). The second time it was a
paler version of the previous but with only some minor sediment. Many
times I will notice the pedal is stiff. The fluid level is fine and no
leaks that I can tell. I have quickly looked at the flex hose and do not
see a pronounced bulge upon pumping the pedal. Got the car last Spring
so I don't know the preventative history. Should I look at putting
repair kits into the master and slave cylinders and replacing the flex
line or should I just sigh and rent a big engine hoist for the weekend.
Carl French
TIA