engine removal /dog nuts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine removal /dog nuts
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:24:48 EDT
Re dog nut : I believe the poster is referring to the bolt that holds the
front pulley/harmonic balancer on. IMHO this is best and easily removed after
the engine is out using a good quality (the cheepos won't break it loose)
1/2drive air wrench & 1 5/16" socket (beg or borrow if necessary) All of the
other ways of removal I've seen suggested involve great amounts of force and
leverage applied against the nut with the drivetrain somehow locked in place
to attempt to discourage the motor from turning with the nut, with resulting
personal and vehicle damage inevitable.
Before you remove the engine loosen the
dog nut if you are planning on taking the engine apart.