Re: V8 Musings Expense & alternatives

To: wizardz@maxinter.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: V8 Musings Expense & alternatives
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:44:47 EDT
In a message dated 23/07/99 10:15:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
wizardz@maxinter.net writes:

<< Yes a reasonable condition engine, otherwise totally stock
 is capable of putting out 180BHP without excessive wear and tear. >>

I'd ask leave to doubt that statement.  First, the clutch on a stock engine
will not stand up to that sort of torque, even if used judiciously, and
second, a 20 year old bottom end doesn't stand up too well to that sort of
use.

Nothing wrong in principle with blowing it, though - best way to get power
out of the rather pathetic head on the pushrod cars.

I would not expect to see that sort of power output with any realistic blower
pressure, outside of unsupported advertising claims, but would readily
believe claims in the region of 120-130 bhp with moderate pressure. For the
sort of power you are talking about would require boost up around 1 Bar, and
engine mods to suit.   If you have any hard evidence to the contrary, I am
always willing to learn!

Turbocharging is another way to boost power, and is easier given the
non-crossflow nature of the heads, but for some reason you don't see much of
that on the MGs.

Interestingly, the manufacturer you speak of (I assume) says that they use
9 psi on a stcok engine, but with a modified engine at 14 psi and 'estimated
ouput' of 200+, get 0-60 in 6.8 secs., and low 15 second quarter mile times.
As I recall, the B GT weighs somewhere around 2300, no?  So this doesn't
compare well to the 2700 pound Fiero that does 7.5 secs 0-60 and 1/4 in the
15s with only 140 net bhp.

I have to suspect that they have not actually tested the engines on a dyno,
and that they are just (liberally) estimating power output.

Mind you, even if they are only getting 150 on the all out engine, that is
still a good result, and that sort of performance is welcome on a car like
the GT. I just hate to see claims without support, as it predisposes me to
classify them as salesmen with less than the desired amount of veracity
attached to their product information.

Bill