E-Types and B's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: E-Types and B's
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:48:43 EDT
As a car nut, I never thought I would ever talk about these two cars at once,
but the thread demands it, so here goes....

I can see how an MGB owner may long to own a Jaguar E-Type roadster, but
would an E-Type owner hold any interest in an MGB? If I am underestimating
the MGB in any way, I do apologize. Neither of these cars were ever meant to
be all things to all people, which is why they both possess so much character
and soul. But, and let's be honest here, neither of these cars were ever
directed at the same audience. I know now that I could drive an MGB everyday,
but how many of us could, even if we had the money, do the same in an E-Type?

I knew of two people: one had a near perfect british racing green MGB GT, the
other, a near perfect silver Jag E-Type coupe (NOT a 2+2). Both cars were
breathtaking. Also, both had owned these cars for at least 25 years. My
friend with the MGB GT is often seen shunning his choice of a BMW 328i
convertible or BMW 740i for his beloved LBC. When I met the man with the
E-Type, it was stored in a room through his garage, and it simply just sat
there. It was immaculate, even the clock worked, but, it just sat there.

Eventually, the E-Type, and his daily driver, a Jag XJ-6C were both sold for
a '94 Jaguar XJ-S convertible with the ugly Ford-esque alloys. The MGB GT
continues to be enjoyed by its owner. Is there a moral to this story? You
decide, but I am sure this is a yarn you have all heard a million times
before.

I have an incredible respect for the E-Type, and maybe that is my problem-I
could never let it be a garage queen, when, for 80-90% of E-Type owners I
have encountered, that is precisely what it is- a work of art, but seldom
enjoyed for what Sir Lyons had originally intended.

Regards,

Tom
xx MGB